Re: Hacking your own motivational and emotional systems, how dangerous?

From: James (jamesdee@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 18:56:45 MDT

From: Robin Brandt
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:49 AM
To: sl4@sl4.org
Subject: Hacking your own motivational and emotional systems, how dangerous?

I believe the Hierarchy of Motivation, proposed by arguably one of the worlds most famous psychologists, Abraham Maslow, is a concept that incorporates the "Evolutionary Drives" you refer too, and also the higher moral drives, or goals that can be considered "Beautiful." i.e. self-actualization, and his revised version, including self-transcendence .

  1.. Physiological
  2.. Safety
  3.. Love/Belonging
  4.. Esteem
  5.. Self-actualization
  6.. Self-transcendence

His diagrammatic goals system portrays a potential starting point from which to work with (or change) and I suppose it would be hypothetically possible to advance, or strive to complete or focus on one particular drive. In fact, Carl Rogers' inspiring book On Becoming a Person is notable for describing a potential system in which to help others ascend our motivation system.

I believe that concerning the development of AGI, a more clear understanding of the human motivational system could potentially be included into a concept of friendliness. I base this on the idea that if animals have a basic version of our motivational system, i.e. the establishment of basic survival needs, but not the higher/human portions, such as self-actualization or self-transcendence, then an even higher system may include our motivational system, plus include some higher order goals.

What might these higher goals include? We'll, if our motivational goal-system caps out at self-transcendence, then perhaps thereafter more global goals are aimed for. For a super-intelligent system, this could include thinking about more then the survival one oneself, and more upon the safety, survival, happiness, of the species as a whole. (Has a categorization of super-intelligent goal system been subject to recent discussion?)