Re: Hacking your own motivational and emotional systems, how dangerous?

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 19:00:45 MDT

On 10/25/07, Byrne Hobart <sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wait. Is it acceptable to change someone else's goal system without
> their consent? Or are you referring to medicating mental conditions?
> I'm not sure how you'd extrapolate that threat from what we're talking
> about, since noting that something is possible doesn't mean wanting to
> do it in every circumstance?

If the issue is "goal system modification" - does it make any
difference if we're talking about a software setting with a nice
Web2.0 interface or the administration of mind-altering chemicals? Is
the former easier to discuss because it's not currently possible,
while the second is a vulgar and messier analog? (though perhaps not
quite as barbaric as wanton EST and lobotomy to induce "improved"
behavior) Would a self-aware non-biological entity be equally
appalled at the notion of well-meaning researches manipulating its
"goal system" as you or I would be of having a religious zealot trying
to "save" us by imposing their goal system?

maybe my idea of a goal system is too different?