Re: Question about CEV

From: Henry Wolf VII (hwolfvii@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 19:03:22 MDT

>> What happens today is that people who lack insight into their mental
> illness and are suffering because of it have treatment forced upon
> them. Mental health services estimate their CEV, and act accordingly.
> If someone does not have a diagnosis of mental illness, on the other
> hand, they are allowed to act self-destructively if that is their
> choice.
>
> There is a danger that an AI may decide that we are all in a position
> analogous to the insightless mentally ill, with poor judgement on
> account of our relatively low intelligence and primitive drives. I
> would feel much better if the AI did exactly what I wanted. If I
> wanted it to do what it thought some idealised version of me wanted,
> then that is what I would tell it to do. I don't want it guessing that
> an idealised version of me would want it to do what an idealised
> version of me wanted etc.
>

> --
> Stathis Papaioannou

Sure, you may not want it guessing at what an idealized version of
yourself would want it to do - but that is simply your relatively low
intelligence and primitive drives talking. It is not a danger that AI
will decide that we are all the equivalent of the mentally ill,
because compared to such a being - we should be lucky to be considered
the equivalent of pets. Would you allow your pets to act self-
destructively?