Re: The 5 stages of evolution

From: Gissur Þórhallsson (gzzzur@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 17:11:32 MDT

> you only need a 1 in 10^20 chance that a planet would evolve intelligent
life to explain our presence
But that is exactly the point, we're not debating our own presence, we're
debating why we can't see evidence other presences, why can't we see any of
advanced stellar technologies - and one idea is that, even though life may
be highly common, and that intelligence may be fairly common (substitute
your own magnifier at will) - it seems to be the cold hard fact at this
stage that galaxy spanning civilizations are NOT common, if they exist at
all.
So somewhere, assuming a high probability of intelligence evolving,
intelligence falters - and hence we have The Great Silence. But what I was
getting at, is that The Great Silence might be explained by the fact that an
AGI wouldn't NEED to colonize the cosmos:

0) It's not driven by the same impulse to reproduce as we are.
1) It can observe quite a lot from here.
2) All the laws of physics are the same as anywhere else, so it can figure
them out just fine without ever having to leave its armchair (so to speak).
3) Once it has all them pesky laws figured out, it can go ahead and simulate
the universe, thus making traveling pretty pointless.
4) If, having garnered all it can from staying put, it were inclined to
travel - it could do so much more inconspicuously than an stellar explosion
of biomass, which Hanson's model seems to imply.

So we might have a framework in which the Singularity gives us loophole
through Fermi's Paradox.

As for the rate of intelligence, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say
that I think that there is a lower limit of scale somewhere, where an
intelligence becomes too slow to be able to respond to its environment in
any meaningful way rendering an attribution of intelligence somewhat
suspect, but then again, if something were to communicate at a bit per
millennium - communicating with it would not so much depend on the speed of
thought, but rather of the attention span of the faster intelligence - I
feel I'm stepping on some thin ice here, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

kind regards,
Gissur