Re: answers I'd like from an SI

From: Wei Dai (weidai@weidai.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2007 - 19:01:22 MST

Jeff L Jones wrote:
> I think all of the other questions are interesting, but isn't this one
> tautological? "Why am I me?" By definition, "I" and "me" refer to
> the same person.

Ok, I'll clarify the question to "Why am I Wei Dai at this point in time in
this Everett branch?" And let "I" denote my indexical location rather than
the person Wei Dai.

This is certainly one of the more "mysterious" questions and I fully admit
the possibility that even in this clarified form it may not be well posed.
In fact I've argued along those lines myself. But if there's an SI around,
I'd like to ask it just to be sure. If it indeed confirms that the question
isn't well posed, then I'd like to follow up by asking what makes us ask
that question in the first place.