Re: Morality simulator

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2007 - 12:09:06 MST

To merge in a conversation from Overcoming Bias (summary below).

Peter de Blanc says "If you could find a short definition of our
morality, I would be totally amazed."

I don't have one. CEV seems to be an attempt. But until then, a
simulator is a good way to experiment (to play around with, not to
prove anything conclusively of course!) with topics that one does not
yet fully understand.

(As mentioned earlier, I am using the term "simulator" to include any
computerized environment, including very simple ones; including those
where human agents can participate; including ones where the
morality-based utility function can be explicitly altered or
implicitly generated as part of the simulation; and with no pretenses
to AGI.)

Joshua

>From http://www.overcomingbias.com/2007/11/terminal-values.html#comments
Peter de Blanc
No. What other sorts of terminal values [other than moral] did you have in mind?
Joshua Fox
...A sadist could have the terminal value of causing pain to others. I
wouldn't call those
moral. I'm interested in a succinct differentiation between moral and
other terminal values.

Peter De Blanc
Josh, I would say that making oneself happy is a morality, and so is
causing pain to others. It sure isn't our morality. If you could find
a short definition of our morality, I would be totally amazed.