Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: Thomas McCabe (pphysics141@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 15:33:48 MST

This is not always true; see http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/tom/?p=68.

> >"The AI will do it the same way you do" is not
> > a useful way of thinking about how to build an AI.
>
> I never said it was, I was asked how the AI tells a good goal from a bad
> goal and I said it will use the same sort of mental process that we do,
> and that process is called "Judgment", and I see no reason that sort of
> data crunching can only be produced by meat. I mean, what other answer
> could I give, did you expect me to give detailed blueprints for an AI?

Calling it "judgment" invites anthropomorphicism. Utility functions
are much cleaner mathematically anyway.

> > And what's up with "his"?
>
> What pronoun would you prefer? I hope you're not one of those people who
> insist I say "he or she" all the time.

I've long since given up attempting to keep pronouns straight. This
has been a problem for hundreds of years and it's not likely to go
away anytime soon. Use singular they, or ve/ver/vis.

> John K Clark
>

> --
> John K Clark
> johnkclark@fastmail.fm