Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2007 - 22:56:33 MST

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 "Thomas McCabe" <pphysics141@gmail.com> said:

> Calling it "judgment" invites anthropomorphicism.

Yes, and so what? Anthropomorphic reasoning is a perfectly respectable
tool, it can be misused but so can any tool.

> Utility functions are much cleaner mathematically anyway.

And it sounds cooler and more brainy too, but I’ll bet that when you
describe your own actions you use the word “judgment” one hell of a lot
more often than “utility function”. If the word is good enough for you
it’s good enough for MR. AI, I certainly wouldn’t discriminate against
him just because he’s not made of meat.

John K Clark

--
  John K Clark