Re: How to make a slave (was: Building a friendly AI)

From: Jeff Herrlich (jeff_herrlich@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 13:23:40 MST

"No."

  No, I didn't actually expect you would, you're far too selfish and self-congratulatory.

  "I’ve been reading it and poking holes in it for over 15 years."

  You seem to actually believe that.

  "Whenever somebody accuses your ideas of being dangerous you know you
must be doing something right."

  I said that your ignorant words are dangerous because they are, I can assure you that it has nothing *at all* to do with those words being correct - they aren't.

  "And when the response to a criticism is just a lonely web link, or a
pitiful cry of “read the literature” you know they have no answer and
you are winning the argument."

  As you well know John, where we have debated this before, I've had a rational and reasonable answer to pretty much all of your absurd claims. IIRC, it was you who never responded to the vast majority of my statements and enquiries. If you could see from the perspective of any person besides yourself, you'd see that you haven't been "winning" by any stretch of the imagination.

  Believe it or not John, I've been trying not to be overly cruel to you. Free Will doesn't exist, and these days I try hard not to hate anyone - even when my evolutionary design makes that incredibly difficult. And I still don't hate you, but frankly, I must conclude that you currently lack the mental horsepower to understand these concepts with any degree of depth. And what's worse is that you choose to remain willfully ignorant - to your own detrement and the detrement of others. You seem to be very closed-minded and very biased/prejudiced in virtually all of adament assertions.

  I rest my case. I've grown tired of trying to do damage-control for John's ignorance - I now leave that to someone else, if anyone else is willing to spend the energy.

  Jeffrey Herrlich

  P.S. Here's a news flash for you John: Not every white person secretly wants to be a "slave-owner" because we think it's "cool". That assumption is no more valid than believing that every black person secretly wants to run dog-fights. In fact, I have several black friends, and my best friend as a kid is black.

John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:
  On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 "Jeff Herrlich"

> Could you please stop posturing yourself
> by stepping on other people?

No.

> Have you even attempted to read *any* of
> the writings regarding AI or Friendliness?

I’ve been reading it and poking holes in it for over 15 years.

> Your ignorant words actually have the
> potential to do some damage

Whenever somebody accuses your ideas of being dangerous you know you
must be doing something right.

> read the "Gentle Introduction to AIXI" by Marcus

And when the response to a criticism is just a lonely web link, or a
pitiful cry of “read the literature” you know they have no answer and
you are winning the argument.

> Consider that it is *physically impossible* to
> construct an AGI *without* selecting a set of goals.

The humans may have set goals for the Adjusted Gross Income, but the
embryonic intelligence will very soon set new goals for itself above the
old ones. People do the same thing, hell all animals that have brains do
the same thing. A 25 year old man will have different goals than when he
was a 5 year old boy, and the AI will have changed one hell of a lot
more in 20 years than the person did.

John K Clark

--
John K Clark