Re: How to make a slave

From: Aleksi Liimatainen (aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 04:04:24 MST

John K Clark wrote:

> I don’t disagree with any of that, but the entire parent child analogy
> is lousy because WE are the parent not the AI; and even as an infant the
> AI is enormously more intelligent and more conscious than any human
> being that has ever or will ever live. This is not the case with humans
> and their children.

I certainly agree that one must be wary of drawing conclusions about
minds-in-general based on human examples.

However, the parent-child relationship looks like our best available
example of minds with the builtin goal of helping inferior beings. If
you refuse to draw conclusions on the basis of human reactions to things
we want, how can you justify basing an argument on our reactions to
things we didn't want in the first place?

--
Aleksi Liimatainen
aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi