Re: How to make a slave (was: Real-life Friendliness?)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 08:09:49 MST

--- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2007, Aleksi Liimatainen <aleksi.liimatainen@tut.fi> wrote:
> > Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, but it's risky applying this analogy to the relationship between
> > > AI and adult human. I don't want to be forced to do things on the
> > > grounds that I am not intelligent enough to know what's good for me,
> > > or even on the grounds that that is what I would wish to do were I a
> > > more intelligent and better informed version of myself.
> > >

> > Children aren't too keen on obeying their parents either. How would you
> > resolve the apparent double standard?
>
> We draw a line (perhaps arbitrarily) when children are adults.
> Obviously, not all adults are equally intelligent, prudent, wise etc.
> and many adults make bad decisions. But freedom means the freedom to
> make bad decisions. In some cases society considers it appropriate to
> infringe on a person's autonomy "for their own good"; for example, if
> a mentally ill person is about to jump from a tall building in the
> belief that he will be able to fly like superman. But such cases are
> the exception, and there is careful legislation in most countries to
> ensure that abuse does not occur.

When you were a child, did you really think that your parents were asking in
your best interest when they wouldn't give you what you wanted?

What makes you think you could be smarter than a machine that was designed to
be smarter than you?

But it doesn't really matter, because most people think the same way, so that
is what we will build. Suppose we are successful and the AI actually does
want to give us what we want right now. To the AI, our brains are simple
computers that can be reprogrammed. Move some neurons around, and we will all
be happy.

Meanwhile, evolution will continue to select agents that don't always get what
they want, that still fear death and then die.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com