Re: How to make a slave

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 09:50:23 MST

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 "Aleksi Liimatainen"

> the parent-child relationship looks like our
> best available example of minds with the
> builtin goal of helping inferior beings.

Do you have a built in goal of helping slugs, or bacteria?

And I think this entire “goal” business as seen by this list is a bit
nuts. The goal system of an intelligence is not a static thing, it’s
dynamic. A goal is not fixed and absolute like one of Euclid’s axioms;
in the only example of intelligence we can currently study, human
beings, there is no one top goal that always remains the same for the
life of the individual, not even the goal for self preservation. And
even if we just look at one instant in time the goal structure is still
very murky and imprecise; should I do A which helps a tiny little bit on
achieving the top goal or B which helps a hell of a lot on achieving the
second from the top goal? You want to live and need to lose weight for
your health but that chocolate bar looks good and just one bite won't
hurt much. What to do?

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark