Re: Risk, Reward, and Human Enhancement

From: x@extropica.org
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 17:20:14 MST

On 1/2/08, Bryan Bishop <kanzure@gmail.com> wrote:

> Prediction and intelligence go hand-in-hand, so how is a number (IQ)
> supposed to be at all intelligent?

Huh? *Within a given context* we certainly can assign a number
meaningfully representing a point on a distribution representing a
system's ability to make effective predictions within a complex
environment.

<snip>

> "Never underestimate the ability of a small group of thoughtful,
> dedicated individuals to change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing
> that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Margaret Mead (of Coming of Age in Samoa) was laughably gullible and
sadly swayed by her idealism. Not a good reference hereabouts.