Re: Evidence that the universe is simulated

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2008 - 08:54:56 MST

On Jan 25, 2008 6:20 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I mean is, if we lived in a universe where certain things worked
> perfectly, including our model of it, then that universe would not be Turing
> computable. It is hard to imagine such a universe because we don't live in
> one. The fact that we can't imagine it (because a perfect model is
> impossible) is evidence that the universe is Turing computable.

It's easy to imagine such universe, as a mathematical model. Point is
that even if you do live in such universe, you can't be sure of it.
Its inhabitants can't know that rules won't change at some future
point, they can only know that they haven't changed for all history of
observation.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@gmail.com