Augmented Intelligence Test

From: Joshua Fox (joshua@joshuafox.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 12:56:16 MST

Someone, I think Vinge, claimed a smart graduate student with a computer
could, even today, max out an IQ test.

Here's an idea: A researcher could administer an IQ test to a sample of
people, and then to another sample of people who are allowed to use a
computer, including Internet access. I'm interested in seeing some numbers
on the different IQ levels shown.

It should be a test composed a long time ago, say 1900, since more recent
tests might downplay the worth of tasks which a computer can easily
accomplish. (It's been said that when once computers can do a task, people
no longer consider it to require "intelligence.")

The test can be selected to exclude questions appearing somewhere on the
Web, to eliminate the value of mere recall-by-Google.

Doing this would give, if nothing else, food for thought on the idea of
"intelligence augmentation."

Has this been done?

Joshua

P.S. Apologies for the previous empty email.