Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later.

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 14:44:35 MST

On Feb 11, 2008 11:44 PM, John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> I have no great confidence that the first true AI will have any interest
> in developing "Friendly AI technology". And even if He did will He feel
> the same way in 90 seconds? After all that's the equivalent of many
> millennia for a human?

It can be limited in any required way, and broken into making our bid,
given enough tinkering (restarts, etc.) and safety measures.
Technology is much easier to check than to produce (if it's designed
for easy inspection), so given reasonable protocol it should be
feasible. Problems with genie-in-the-box start when you allow it out,
and if you are not going to let it out from the start, it should be
possible to make use of it. It's an unstable situation, so
first-priority thing for genie to do is to produce a safe genie, after
which we destroy the original one.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:robotact@gmail.com