Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later

From: Robin Hanson (rhanson@gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 12:32:33 MST

At 02:07 PM 2/20/2008, Peter McCluskey wrote:
>There appears to be a serious lack of communication between people who
>think we're doomed without FAI and the people who expect a diverse society
>of AIs. It appears that the leading advocates of one outcome can't imagine
>how anyone could believe the other outcome is possible. This appears to be
>a symptom of a serious failure of rationality somewhere. I wish I could
>lock the leaders of each side of this schism into a room and not let them
>out until they either reached agreement or came up with a clear explanation
>of why they disagreed. Presumably part of the disagreement is over the
>speed at which AI will take off, but that can't explain the certainty with
>which each side appears to dismiss the other.

I volunteer to enter the room. Who will join me?

Robin Hanson rhanson@gmu.edu <http://hanson.gmu.edu>http://hanson.gmu.edu
Research Associate, Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford University
Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326 FAX: 703-993-2323