Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 16:01:39 MST

Nick writes

> Why would a paperclip maker, or a computronium maker, retain our memories?
>
> (Even if it did, I would find it little consolation.)

Something is me to the degree that it remembers being me,
by accessing the highly personal memories that make me
who I am.

Of course, as it looks back over its life, if ninety-nine
percent of the time it remembers in this sense being
other people, then I only get one percent of its runtime.

But that could be great! Really a whole lot better than
not being alive at all.

Lee