Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 14:04:52 MST

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:11:49 +0000, "Krekoski Ross"
<rosskrekoski@gmail.com> said:

> I dispute the can opener argument. You make the
> assumption that all of the 'signal' is contained
> inside the packaging, i.e. that all meaning of the
> email is external to the email itself

The meaning is contained in the message and in the nature of the reader.
Normally we donít have to worry about that second part, it is pretty
safe for me to assume that you know the English language so I really
donít think you will respond to this message with a critique on the
finer points of can opener technology; however in the universe of all
possible things there is an alien who would do precisely that.

> a completely random string of letters

But you canít prove that string of letters is random, you canít prove it
doesnít have some inner structure you just havenít figured out yet.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm