Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Bryan Bishop (kanzure@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 17:47:11 MST

On Monday 03 March 2008, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> Yes. This is sometimes called "failure of induction" and it's a
> problem for any ensemble theory in cosmology, such as Max Tegmark's.
> (In fact, the idea that every possible computation is necessarily
> implemented is one way of justifying Tegmark's modal realism).

That's interesting, I must have missed this when I first learned of
Tegmark. Leibniz would say that all unnecessarily nonexistent programs
would exist, and that there are some that can become unnecessarily
nonexistant or become existing through various means, but does Tegmark
directly mean to say that all possible computations are platonically
eternal and already implemented?

- Bryan
Bryan Bishop
http://heybryan.org/