Re: Objective Meaning Must Exhibit Isomorphism

From: Krekoski Ross (rosskrekoski@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 22:16:30 MST

> > At any rate the distinction becomes less clear. But it would also make
> > sense to talk about isomorphisms of context, in addition to
> > isomorphisms of signal.
>
> Example?

Well the most general example I can think of is usage of signal as
foreground, noise as background, regardless of the contingencies of message
modality, or what specifically constitutes signal. if we go back to the
fibonacci example...

qwe*gta*rfe**yqw***qdw*****plo********lmo etc.

as opposed to

1,1,2,3,5,8

etc.

There are two isomorphisms here. There is firstly, the obvious one, an
isomorphism between both signals as well as an actual mathematical fibonacci
sequence. In addition however, a second isomorphism, the usage of signal on
the one hand ( a '*' in our first example, a digit in our second) as
foreground, or message carrier, and the usage of some kind of filler 'noise'
to separate units within the signal, could also be construed as isomorphic
with the notion of communication, which is a natural byproduct of
intelligence. (and, in fact, isomorphic with the process of reasoning as
well, since our own thoughts have signal as well as noise).

Am I clear here? process of communication, as well as any arbitrary
instantiation of communication is isomorphic with other intelligent
activities.

Rgds,

Ross