Re: Quantum entaglement, human cognitive capacity

From: Adam Safron (asafron@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 08:22:43 MST

Thanks Maksym.

To be honest, considering the unsavory (from a rationalist's
perspective) contexts in which I have encountered them, my skeptical
defenses tend to get raised whenever people bring up quantum
phenomena. I tend to be skeptical whenever I see someone making a
claim where they have strong motivations regarding the consequences of
the claim. Anti-realist theories are attractive to a lot of people.
Not long after showing you the experiments, quantum folk move on to
talking about eastern mysticism or the invalidness of determinism. If
people were more familiar with compatibalist arguments for determinism
and "free will", I wonder if this would change the way people deal
with these issues.

Note: there still seems to be some controversy regarding hidden
variables.
According to the wiki: "This rules out local hidden variable
theories, but does not rule out non-local ones."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem#Theoretical_challenges
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_test_loopholes
However, as with so-called "controversies" regarding evolution and
intelligent design, it's quite possible that one side is simply
wrong. The fact that the controversy seems legitimate to me, may be a
function of my ignorance of the field. I'll withhold further judgment
until I become more familiar with these materials.

Best,
-adam