Re: Mindless Thought Experiments

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 16:38:00 MST

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/03/2008, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Of course I believe in my own experience or qualia. But there is a difference
> > between believing something exists and it actually existing. You can't prove
> > that anything exists. I can't make any argument that a robot couldn't make.
>
> In the case of experience, believing that you have one *is* the same
> as having one.

I don't think so. You can program a computer to believe whatever
statements you want it to believe. If you program it to believe a
statement like "I have experience"... meaning that when you query it,
it responds with "yes, that statement is true"... it won't necessarily
have experience. To have experience, I think you need a lot more
complexity than just a network of beliefs.

Jeff