Re: Quantum entaglement, human cognitive capacity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2008 - 18:15:44 MST

--- Bryan Bishop <kanzure@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 March 2008, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
> > The recent simulation of a rat neocortical column by the IBM Blue
> > Gene/L computer is claimed to accurately model real brain tissue.
> > This seems almost too good to be true, but if it is, it would mean
> > that simulation at the classical level is enough. It would also mean
> > that simulating a human brain is only a decade or two away.
>
> I would agree that it's almost too good to be true, since the simulation
> was a basic neural net simulation that you can take right out of a text
> book instead of anything specific to rats. So that's interesting. Hm.
> Can you link me to a ref on the accuracy of the simulation?

Here is a 1 hour talk on the project.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2874207418572601262

There was some pretty extensive and novel research leading up to the
simulation. They found hundreds of different types of neurons within a
cortical column and studied the behavior of each type by growing cells on
silicon.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com