Doomed without FAI or diverse society? (was Re: Investing in FAI research: now vs. later)

From: Tim Freeman (
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 10:09:19 MST

From: "Peter C. McCluskey" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:07:43 -0800 (PST)
> There appears to be a serious lack of communication between people who
>think we're doomed without FAI and the people who expect a diverse society
>of AIs. It appears that the leading advocates of one outcome can't imagine
>how anyone could believe the other outcome is possible. This appears to be
>a symptom of a serious failure of rationality somewhere. I wish I could
>lock the leaders of each side of this schism into a room and not let them
>out until they either reached agreement or came up with a clear explanation
>of why they disagreed.

There is a AI meetup run by Monica in the SF Bay area every other
weekend, and she's willing to have a debate between someone who thinks
we're doomed without FAI and someone who expects a diverse society of
AI's. The next time slot is 9 days from now, which is March 16, 2008.

I can take the doomed-without-FAI position. Do we have a volunteer to
advocate a diverse society of AI's? I want the announcement to be
sent a week in advance, so I need responses by March 9.

I'm not claiming to be a leading advocate of anything, and I'm not
willing to be locked up until someone else is reasonable, but this
still seems worth doing.

I'm expecting a format like around 10 minutes of stating a position
each, up to 10 minutes of rebuttals each, then random questions from
the crowd until we're out of questions or out of time.

Tim Freeman