Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 14:00:11 MDT

Somebody, I don’t know who said:

> If 1000 copies of you are made in London lacking 50%
> of your memories and 10 copies are made in Paris
> lacking 5% of your memories, are you more likely to
> find yourself waking up in London or Paris?

I would say that in this scenario the most likely outcome is that you
would not find yourself anywhere. I don’t think survival is an all or
nothing concept, but 5% is way too big for my tastes and 50% is just
unacceptable, but there is no disputing matters of taste. There is a big
difference between you and me just as there is between day and night,
but if one slowly changes into the other you can’t point to an exact
instant and say that is where one becomes the other.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm