Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 01:12:23 MDT

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:35:47 +0300, "Vladimir Nesov"
<robotact@gmail.com> said:

> And if other envelopes contain numbers 1 to 100,
> chance jumps from 50% to 1:100?

The honest answer is “it depends”, the even more honest answer is “I
don’t know”. I know I’ll remember and forever be changed by the
“torture” or “don’t torture” message, there is absolutely no doubt about
that! Perhaps I’ll also notice the number “42” lightly written in pencil
in the upper left of the paper and that will change me too and make me
different from somebody who reads “43”; but probably not. If I notice
the number at all my subconscious will probably decide that the number
is not important and so there is no point in moving it from short term
memory storage into long term storage and so the number will have no
lasting effect on me. I’ll remember the torture business though!

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm