Re: Friendliness SOLVED!

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 20:41:18 MDT

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Mark Waser <mwaser@cox.net> wrote:

> If this truly works then l should have the ice-9 of ethics and it should
> solve a lot of problems. Can you provide a counter-example to my theory or
> clearly state why an entity should not volutarily convert or clearly state
> where it is not in an entity's best self-interest to be friendly or where an
> entity could remain friendly according to *my* formalism and still perform a
> horrible and unethical action?

As a collection of individual cells with a common interest in the continued
survival of the entity known as ME, I declare that several cells
unaffiliated with each other despite the name I categorically use to
describe Germs should be systematically destroyed using the most effective
chemicals available provided said chemicals pose negligible threat to the
primary goal of the survival of my own collective of Friendly cells.
Perhaps there are Friendly amoeba among the broadly defined Germs which have
neither the inkling or power to declare themselves Friendly yet have not
(through any definitive action) declared themselves to be UnFriendly
either. Suppose the threat of Germs warrants the "Friendly Fire" of
chemicals also destroys some Ambivalent entities. Have I committed wanton
UnFriendliness?
  Suppose now the collection of ME is a world government of humans
colonizing our solar system or the galaxy at large. Those amoeba are now
individual aliens that have not yet reached OneWorld Civilization status.
Suppose they are each as capable an intelligence as yourself. Would your
answer to wanton UnFriendliness be the same if we terraformed their
methane-based atmosphere to support human life? What if They were doing it
to Us ?

  Also suppose my definition of Friendly is just vastly different than
yours. I can agree to be Friendly by my own terms - because that's all you
said you require for membership in the Friendly Group. I simply spread the
my own meme of Friendly until your Group is has allied itself with my own,
then continue acting on my believes - subjugating your goals to those of the
Friendly Group that I have now undermined. I do not willingly admit
wrongdoing in light of your accusations that I entered the Friendly Group
under false pretense because I honestly believe that I am righteously
spreading the Right Meme. Your current declaration does not protect against
this kind of invasion.