Re: There's more to me than memories...

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2008 - 22:53:19 MDT

On 14/03/2008, Heartland <mindinstance@gmail.com> wrote (to Lee):

> Option 1) In 1 minute you will go into an eternal coma. On the bright side, you are
> guaranteed that your brain, and thus your memories, will remain exactly the way
> they are now until the end of Universe.
> Option 2) In 1 minute all your personal memories will be completely erased from
> your brain, but, other than that, this brain will function just like any other
> healthy brain that's able to form and retain new personal memories and remember all
> the general knowledge acquired throughout the brain's life, like being able to
> speak, read and write English, do math, etc. However, this brain will not remember
> its name, its opinions, its family and friends, its tastes, where it's located,
> none of that personal stuff.

Option 2 is equivalent to my dying and an unrelated person with no
memories but a brain similar to mine (like a clone) being created.
This is not much better from a selfish point of view than option 1,
where I die and there is no replacement. Static memories aren't really
any good: consciousness involves a series of related memories.

--
Stathis Papaioannou