Re: Atoms

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@rawbw.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 02:05:21 MDT

Despite being far closer to JKC's position, here I actually disagree with
him:

> Heartland, High Priest of the Unique Atom and Sacred Original Cult
> wrote:
>
>> you can't seem to comprehend why you could have the same process
>> using different atoms and different processes using the same atoms.
>
> Read the above, the same process using different processes and different
> atoms using the same atoms. You are correct, I can't comprehend that.

John, let's say that you have purchased one copy of a simple computer
program, and you run it on two of your ancient 286 Intel machines
under QNX or MS-DOS or whatever OS is on them.

The two processes, though on different machines, are identical to me.
That is, what can you about one process that you can't say about the
the other, except for "they are not running on the same machine",
"they were not started at exactly the same time", and "one may be
executing slightly more slowly than the other for some dumb reason".

Those are extrinsic characteristics. It would be like saying that one
of JC's characteristics is that a certain random lurker once read his
name. True, but not *characteristic* of JC, nor one of his "real"
properties.

So as far as I can see, yes, you can have the same process running
on different atoms. Now if you *insist* that by your definition, no
two processes are the same, then we see that we have come merely
to a terminological impasse. An impasse that is inconsequential
regarding actions people will or ought to take (I think).

As for different processes using the same atoms, that surely has
to be all right too. For example, let's say that you are locked in
a steel air-tight box, heaven forbid, and you die. After you die,
the bacteria really start to multiply rapidly. I would say that now
we have a different process (or many different processes) running
on exactly the same atoms that JC used to run on. Any terminology
or other problems with that?

Lee