Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 15:52:22 MDT

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Vladimir Nesov <robotact@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> You are complicating things by introducing this competition between
> bodies of copies. The situation you describe can be modeled perfectly
> well without introducing a special
> probability-compensated-for-division-of-property.

Vladimir,

I don't know what you mean by "bodies of copies". I agree that you
can analyze the situation without thinking about bets or property, and
that this just makes it more complicated. The reason I wrote it all
out in detail, however, is because I think that is what is leading you
to think that "there is a 50% chance that the coin will come up heads"
independent of who observes it. You're thinking of what a non-copied
observer would see, and failing to consider what the copied observers
see... which is the whole point of the question.

Jeff