Re: Is a Person One or Many?

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2008 - 18:13:08 MDT

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Vladimir Nesov <robotact@gmail.com> wrote:
> Feelings and drives are important concepts because they
> describe what's going on in our minds, they explain modes of thought.
> But they did not evolve to handle the reasoning of a creature that
> gets copied all of a sudden, with preservation of all its memories,

Agreed... and that's precisely why we can't solve this problem based
on subjective anticipation... your intuitions about subjective
anticipation were all developed based on experience as a single
observer who has the illusion of following a single timeline.
Objective anticipation is the only thing relevant to being copied.

In some sense, though, we are being copied all the time, by quantum
mechanics... and our anticipation is right in line with what you get
from counting each observer separately, not lumping "identitcal"
observers into one like you and John Clark are doing.

Jeff