Re: Bekenstein bound

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 11:38:37 MDT

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 "Mike Dougherty" <msd001@gmail.com> said:

> Can someone explain how a two dimensional area is used
> to measure the amount of information that can be stored
> in a 3 (or more) dimensional universe?

>From the point of view of a distant observer matter never enters a Black
Hole, time slows down so it just gets closer and closer to the 2 D event
horizon but never quite arrives. A Black Hole is the greatest
concentration of matter possible, so if we assume information must be
encoded in matter then the maximum information concentration possible is
proportional to the area of the event horizon divided by the Plank Area,
the smallest area modern physics knows how to deal with, possibly the
smallest area there is.

Another was of looking at it is that in order for the information inside
a Black Hole to effect the outside universe the information must be
displayed on the interface between the inside and the outside of the
Black Hole, the 2D event horizon.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark