Re: OpenCog Concerns

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 12:05:28 MDT

On Mar 23, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Edward Miller wrote:

> I mostly agree, though I am not so sure that we need
> to refrain from citing DARPA-funded papers. As long as
> we specify no military use and make a serious effort
> to enforce that, I think that is good enough.
>
> I am open to counter-arguments though.

You can accept no funding from the military-industrial complex, but
you cannot stop them from using the results. Such is the nature of
open development. Remember, the concern is that the "bad guys" will
get their hands on just enough code that they can cause an existential
disaster. The "bad guys" aren't worried about whether or not they
respect license agreements. A "serious effort to enforce" may
ultimately require military action. Remember, this is a race with no
rules other than self enforced ones; you can choose to be unethical
and very likely lose, or ethical and only maybe win.

                Gordon Worley
e-mail: redbird@mac.com PGP: 0xBBD3B003
   Web: http://homepage.mac.com/redbird/