Re: Hiding AI research from Bad People was Re: OpenCog Concerns

From: William Pearson (wil.pearson@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2008 - 17:44:30 MDT

On 24/03/2008, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew@ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

> No one is so special that their crappy flavor of Yet Another AI
> Project will attract any real interest from the Powers That Be until
> the technology is sufficiently developed that it can distinguish
> itself from all other AI projects by force of capability. At which
> point, you have AI and the Powers That Be are a day late.

Not all intelligent systems go FOOM*. Therefore it is likely that not
all artificial intelligence system will go FOOM. So if you happen to
be have insights into an AI design that you think will not go FOOM
directly or unilaterally, your scenario is unhelpful.

 Will Pearson

* By FOOM I mean change the world into a sea of computronium/hack the
entire planet or whatever else you are imagining will make the powers
that be (TPTB) a day late. Case in point humans so far haven't FOOMed.
Even when we have direct access to our neural connection data and the
ability to modify it, I don't expect us to FOOM.