Re: The GLUT and functionalism

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 17:25:11 MDT

On 01/04/2008, Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm feeling that Zombies should be denied their rations of brains, and
> buried away from this list for ever. With no way of distinguishing a
> zombie from a non-zombie, I don't see what the point of mentioning
> them is.

It is at least logically possible that a being which behaves just like
a person might be unconscious, although it isn't clear that it is
physically possible. However, the idea that you right now might be
part-zombie, lacking certain experiences even though you behave as if
you have them and believe that you have them, strikes me as
incoherent. There's no more basic test of whether you have an
experience than having the experience!

--
Stathis Papaioannou