Re: FAI prioritization

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 04:03:54 MDT

> Correct, many people believe that AGI is impossible within the next 50
> years,

I'm virtually one of those - I think it is very unlikely to have AGI
in the next 50 years (and always have) because I feel we don't have a
theory of consciousness (most versions I know are either mathematical
models that do not capture our current intuitive ideas, or boil down
to "we'll know it when we see it").

However, I have been convinced that the consequences of AGI are so
monumental that it is worth looking into with great seriousness,
despite the low probability. I was a "low-hanging fruit".

I don't know if this is typical....

or believe that because it's not certain to happen, it