Re: FAI prioritization

From: Samantha Atkins (sjatkins@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2008 - 04:48:32 MDT

Matt Mahoney wrote:
> --- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Correct, many people believe that AGI is impossible within the next 50
>>> years,
>>>
>> I'm virtually one of those - I think it is very unlikely to have AGI
>> in the next 50 years (and always have) because I feel we don't have a
>> theory of consciousness (most versions I know are either mathematical
>> models that do not capture our current intuitive ideas, or boil down
>> to "we'll know it when we see it").
>>

> There is no theory of consciousness because there is no such thing. But there
> is a universal human belief in consciousness. Maybe we need a theory to
> explain why this belief evolved.

Depending on your definition of the term you may or may not be
correct. By some notions of 'consciousness' such as growing out of
reflective intelligence mirroring/modeling self and other,
'consciousness' or self-awareness is a perfectly valid and natural
development. If this is so then I would expect any intelligence with a
sufficiently developed "theory of mind" and the need to model self
relative to others would seem to believe in something very much like
this nebulous "consciousness".

- samantha