Re: Bounded population (was Re: Bounded utility)

From: Vladimir Nesov (robotact@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 20:00:50 MDT

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
<sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

> People sure are in a rush to hack the utility function all sorts of ways...
> probably because they don't understand what this little mathy object
> *means*; it's the set of things you really, actually care about.

But how do we figure it out? Why must utility be, say, additive by the
number of people, as you suggested? Such rule sounds completely
arbitrary. World-with-humans should be somehow observed and
extrapolated, and principles of this extrapolation is an important
problem to figure out, but before that is done it's not clear what the
result should be.

--
Vladimir Nesov
robotact@gmail.com