Re: AGI investment (Re: What are "AGI-first'ers" expecting AGI will teach us about FAI?)

From: Thomas McCabe (pphysics141@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 15:37:39 MDT

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Nick Tarleton <nickptar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Global economic output over the next 30 years, at constant growth,
> > will be $4.6 quadrillion (my calculation from CIA World Factbook
> > numbers). That nearly a quarter of the world economy will be invested
> > in AGI over that time is hideously implausible.
>
> If AGI enables machines to do all the work that humans would otherwise be paid
> to do, then how much would it be worth?
>

> -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com

These sorts of calculations require a much higher level of rationality
than the general public usually possesses. Even on SL4, how many
people donate almost a quarter of their income to AGI development?
Where did you get the $1 quadrillion figure in the first place? If
someone gave you $1 quadrillion tomorrow, what would you spend it on?

--
 - Tom
http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/tom