Re: AI investment (was AGI investment)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 14:07:31 MDT

--- John K Clark <johnkclark@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 "Matt Mahoney" <matmahoney@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > This is too funny. We are on the verge of an event bigger
> > than the Permian mass extinction and you are talking
> > about where to invest your money.
>
> Not everything died during the Permian mass extinction, if you think it
> is of trivial importance if you will one of the very rare survivors of
> the next mass extinction or not then so be it. As for me I’d sort of
> like to live, but that’s just me, as I said there is no disputing
> matters of taste.

But this is about the value of my money when DNA based life is replaced with
Jupiter brains or gray goo or whatever. I would like to survive too, although
"survive" isn't a well defined term in a post-singularity world. If some
fraction of my memories survive and are used to run a simulation of me in a
more familiar world, does that simulation inherit my savings? If multiple
copies of me are simulated in different worlds, should the savings be divided
equally, or in proportion to the cost of simulated living? Should I draw up a
contract now?

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com