Re: The role of consciousness.

From: Jeff L Jones (jeff@spoonless.net)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 18:35:44 MDT

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Stuart Armstrong
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:
> But you need to add something more attractive than ten million dollars
> - maybe the non-death of someone you love? Then I'd accept even the
> original bet.

But this *is* the non-death of someone you love (presumably)... you're
copy. Either the original disintegrates, or the new one never wakes
up. I don't see how "not waking up" is any more favorable than death.
 It's sort of like if you had the choice between dying early and never
having been born until later (where your total lifespan is the same
either way). There is no reason to think of dying early as *worse*
than being born later, aside from getting slightly more technological
benefits in the future.

I guess my question would be why you value your life more than your
copy's, if you are both identiical aside from a few neurons here and
there? They both should have roughly the same value to you.

Jeff