Re: Property rights (was Re: Can't afford to rescue cows)

From: mwaser@cox.net
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 08:17:13 MDT

True, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Hopefully you've read Manna by Marshall Brain (http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm). Anyone who hasn't on this list needs to go do so immediately.

> For a different idea on what to do, Robert Anton
> Wilson's 1979 novel _The Homing Pigeons_ (book 3
> of _Schrodinger's Cat_) proposes something called
> the R.I.C.H. economy: Rising Income through
> Cybernetic Homeostasis. Basically, guaranteed
> good pay for those replaced by a machine, and a
> good bounty for inventing yourself out of a job.
> He anticipated many, many things discussed here.

I think I've read that -- many years ago. I should go see if it is on my bookshelf and pull it off and re-read it. Thank you for the reference.

> Having said that, this is the sort of debate that
> becomes utterly moot with FAI.

I'm not so sanguine about that. There is still likely to be a transition period that may not be all roses (particularly if you believe in a slow/soft take-off).

   Mark