Re: Property rights

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 05:27:40 MDT

On 21/04/2008, Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Robin Hanson has opined weightily on why health seems different:
>
> http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2007/05/hanson_on_healt.html
>
> http://www.cato-unbound.org/2007/09/10/robin-hanson/cut-medicine-in-half/

The second article goes into the reasons why medical care is way
overvalued as a contributor to health and longevity. This is perhaps
not what doctors like to hear, but it is the first thing a medical
student is taught in the public health section of his course. For
better or worse, people ignore the law of diminishing returns when
their life is on the line, and they are far more willing to put money
and effort into treatment than into prevention.

> To continue this off-topic thread we must see how it applies to
> the situations regarding distributed intelligences in at least the
> entire solar system, perhaps 500 or 1000 years from now.
>
> So first we need an analog of what government would be needed
> for in possible far-future scenarios, as I asked for in a previous post.

What need would there be for government or economics when everything
is free and happiness knows no bounds?

--
Stathis Papaioannou