Re: Unbounded happiness.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 14:23:54 MDT

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 "Stuart Armstrong"
<dragondreaming@googlemail.com> said:

> The happy people I know are more likely to do a lot
> of interesting and otherwise stimulating stuff

I’m assuming the happy people you know are not Heroin addicts, because
that’s the sort of fate our decedents may face. If you have total
control of your source code a positive feedback loop may be inevitable;
and complex things just don’t do well in positive feedback loops. I
could be wrong, I certainly hope so.

> We could instruct our "happy box" to make us
> deliriously happy while AT THE SAME TIME we do
> a lot of other, productive things

Well sure you could, but would you? I’m not sure you’d even want to. If
you can prove me wrong about this I will be delighted!

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm