Re: AGI investment (Re: What are "AGI-first'ers" expecting AGI will teach us about FAI?)

From: Byrne Hobart (bhobart@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2008 - 09:06:29 MDT

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> If AGI enables machines to do all the work that humans would otherwise be
>> paid
>> to do, then how much would it be worth?
>>

> Nothing (or 42) as monetary valuation in its former terms would disappear
> along with most existential scarcity.

Do you expect the AIs to be precisely identical in terms of skills, goals,
and circumstances? You would have to prove that assertion to demonstrate
that they wouldn't want to trade. To prove that they would want to trade,
but not to denominate it in currencies, you'd have to explain how that's any
different from having a 'barter' system of measurement: "How far away is
Cleveland, Ohio?" "It is the number of seconds since the last sunset,
multiplied by the length of Freud's first cat on its eighth birthday." Why
oh why oh why would we stop converting things to standard measurements to
compare them more easily?