Re: CEV specifies who the AI cares about (was Re: Can't afford to rescue cows)

From: Stefan Pernar (stefan.pernar@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 20:54:13 MDT

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Stefan Pernar <stefan.pernar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > > To exist = to have a description in a form that can be copied.
> > > Description can be your DNA, your knowledge, or your source code.
> > >

> > Yes - I think we are getting somewhere. How about:
> >
> > "existence is defined as the characteristic of being perceivable in
> > principle"
> >
> > This would include forms of existence that are undeniable but can not
> > be copied.
>
> That defintion would include rocks, hallucinations, and magnetic
> monopoles (but not consciousness).

When it comes to the existence of rocks I would say that there are a lot of
entities that would object to the non-existence of rocks in the context of
my theory (see section 2 following in my paper) that a rational agent would
have to take under consideration in its desire to maximize its utility
function. This could be extend to all th other items you mentioned. I for
one certainly believe that consciousness is perceivable (I am conscious ->
therefore I perceive my consciousness -> therefore consciousness is
perceivable).

Intuitively I assume that we all know what existence is supposed to mean and
we do agree that our existence is preferable over our non-existence. Surely
the concept is extendable beyond rocks to cows, fruit flies and
hallucinations. The practicality and utility would be another discussion

       How do you go from that to "existence is preferable to
non-existence"?

The statement "existence is preferable to non-existence" is not derived from
the definition of existence but from the implicit goal of evolution to
increase fitness and what that ultimately means (see
http://www.jame5.com/?p=27)

Kind regards,

Stefan

--