Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 08:39:12 MDT

--- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Speculating about society after a singularity is pointless. It
> leads
> > > to poorly thought-out ideas and is dominated by speculative wishful
> > > thinking. A complete waste of time.
> > >
> > > So, let's do it.
> >
> > OK, let's say a singularity has already happened, and the world you
> > see today is the result.
> >
> > Not possible?
> >
> > http://yudkowsky.net/bayes/truth.html
> >
> > There are several morals, but the relevant one is at the end. There
> > are two kinds of people. Those who believe that beliefs cause
> > reality,
> > and those who believe that reality cause beliefs. The first group
> > might be right, but only the second group will pass on their DNA.
>
> Er... sorry, but fail to see the relevance of any of that...

There are two possibilities. Either your sensory inputs are generated by
a real world behaving according to laws of physics that we partially
understand, or they are generated by a computer running an unknown
algorithm. If it is a computer, where did it come from?

Your failure to see the relevance is a sign of high genetic fitness.
Don't take it as a criticism.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com