Re: Signaling after a singularity

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 10 2008 - 11:18:39 MDT

--- Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You take is very interesting. I was envisioning the singularity in a
> physical sense - a breakdown of our ability to predict the future -
> rather than the mathematical sense. Even if our abikity to predict
> breaks down, thought, we can take steps to try and influence the
> ultimate result - which is why I brought it up.

Evolution is a chaotic process, like the weather. A tiny movement of my
finger today affects the number of hurricanes we will have next year. We
do have the ability to profoundly affect the form that AI will take, but
unfortunately we won't have the computational power to predict those
effects until after they have occurred.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com