Re: Bound unhappiness below (was Re: What if there's an expiration date?)

From: Michael Anissimov (michaelanissimov@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 15:26:15 MDT

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Stuart Armstrong <
dragondreaming@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest setting up utility so that pain caused to someone counts
> more than equivalent benefits provided to another. As the quantity of
> pain increases, the negative utility would increase much faster. Make
> the limit huge (or maybe even infinite), and this should solve the
> problems with most discount rates directly.

Yes, this is called negative utilitarianism. It leads to the conclusion
that humanity should be eliminated to reduce the future likelihood of
Earth-originating life undergoing negative experiences to zero.

If uploading and absolute freedom are both possible, then I could torture a
billion sentients in a nanocomputer the size of a sugar cube. What are you
going to do about it?

--
Michael Anissimov